Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Transforming Mozambique

I have been learning so much on this journey through Mozambiques history. And what astonished me about Carrie Manning's book was that Mozambique went from being one of the poorest, war torn countries in Africa to becoming the most sustainable. By implementing democratization into their country they have boosted their GPN per capita and have maintained peace among the rivaling groups FRELIMO and RENAMO. The more I learn about the country the more shocking I think it will be to be there seeing and experiencing this post-war country. It will be interesting to see as well what democracy has done to re-build the city. I liked when Manning referred to in her book as Mozambique being a UN success story. For democracy to take so well to Mozambique's conflicting groups and stop the civil conflict that was brutally devistating their country. It is estimated that 1 million people perished in that 16 year civil war. And just what these people did to one another. The horrific thought just makes my stomach turn. So the more I learn the more I want to be there for the historic reason. To be a part of witnessing their 4th democratic election, to listen to peoples thoughts, speak to some elders that have lived to see the transformation from war to peace and how it has changed them or changed the way they think.

No comments:

Post a Comment